Learn how to safeguard your computers and laptops, keep your digital data secure, and protect your privacy online. This course is a beginner’s guide to cybersecurity, showing you ways to prevent malware, viruses, and security breaches on your computers and networks. First, author Jess Stratton guides you through securing your computer—with antivirus software, firewalls, and encryption—and protecting your wireless network. See how to adjust privacy and security settings in popular web browsers, avoid phishing scams, use public Wi-Fi safely, and enable two-step verification for more-secure logins. Then take steps to bolster your online privacy, including choosing better usernames and turning on Do Not Track requests, as well as the privacy of others, by blurring out sensitive information in photos and emails. By the end of this course, you’ll know how to secure your computer and laptop and keep your information safe online.
- Installing updates
- Using antivirus software and protecting against viruses
- Enabling Windows Firewall
- Using password-management software
- Encrypting files that contain sensitive data
- Securing your router and protecting the SSID
- Understanding the signs of a secure website
- Checking settings for Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari
- Unsubscribing from email subscriptions
- Reviewing site privacy settings
- Browsing on a public computer
- Understanding cookies
- Protecting other people’s names and locations
- Fact-checking email warnings
HOW TO LOGIN:
- Go to mylmu.edu and log in using your LMU credentials.
- Click on the “Systems Login” menu.
- Scroll down and click on “lynda.com (online training library)”
- Click on the “Start Now” button and you will be redirected to lynda.com.
- Once you are logged in to lynda.com, click the screenshot at the top of this post and you will be redirected to the Computer Security & Internet Safety Fundamentals course!